ID/PW 찾기 회원가입

[차한잔]  [연예] 에스콰이어 - "BTS, 무한한 낙관주의" 인터뷰 번역

Updated at 2020-11-24 23:45:58

이번 미국 에스콰이어에 실린

방탄소년단 관련 인터뷰 기사 번역한 글을

찾아서 이렇게 퍼왔습니다.

뭔가..외국 잡지들은 한번 파들어가면

몹시 진지하군요.

원문 링크 : https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a34654383/bts-members-be-album-interview-2020/

The Boundless Optimism of BTS

By Dave Holmes

Nov 23, 2020

IT IS THE MORNING OF CHUSEOK, A KOREAN HARVEST FESTIVAL akin to Thanksgiving, and the members of BTS would normally be spending it with their families, eating tteokguk, a traditional rice-cake soup. Instead, Jin, 28; Suga, 27; J-Hope, 26; RM, 26; Jimin, 25; V, 24; and Jung Kook, 23, are working. Practicing. Honing their choreography. In a few days, the biggest musical act in the world will perform in the live-stream concert that, for now, will have to stand in for the massive tour they spent the first part of this year rehearsing. At this moment, they’re seated inside Big Hit Entertainment headquarters in Seoul, South Korea, the house they built, dressed mostly in black and white, ready to answer my questions. They’re gracious about it. And groggy.

Before I’m done speaking with them for this story, BTS will have the number-one and number-two songs on the BillboardHot 100, a feat that’s been achieved only a handful of times in the sixty-odd years the chart has existed. Their next album, Be, is weeks away from being released, and speculation about the record, the tracklist, the statement, is rampant across the Internet. BTS are, to put it mildly, huge.

미국의 추수감사절과 비슷한 '추석'이라는 한국 명절날의 아침이었다. 평년 같았으면 가족들과 떡국을 먹고 있을 시간, 방탄소년단의 일곱 멤버들은 일에 한창이었다. 연습. 안무 다듬기. 이 '세상에서 가장 큰 그룹' 방탄소년단은, 올해 초 준비하던 대규모 콘서트 투어를 당분간 대체할 라이브 스트리밍 콘서트를 며칠 앞두고 있었다. 지금 이 순간은 대한민국 서울에 위치한 빅히트 엔터테인먼트 본사에서 흑백의 의상을 차려입고 나와의 인터뷰를 준비 중이다. 이들은 아주 예의 바르고 품위 있지만,심하게 지쳐있기도 하다.

내가 이 기사를 끝마칠 때 쯤이면 소년단은 이미 빌보드 핫 100 차트의 1위와 2위를 차지하게 될 것이다. 지난 60 몇 년 동안 아주 극소수의 가수들만이 안아봤던 영예이기도 하다. 온라인 상에는 다음 발매될 앨범 <BE>와 그 트랙리스트, 메시지에 대한 추측이 발매 몇 주를 앞둔 지금 흘러 넘치고 있다 . 아주 완곡하게 말해도 방탄소년단은 거대한 그룹이 아닐 수 없다.

There is something about complete world domination that can really cement a friendship. What jumps out at me as I connect with the members of BTS is their level of comfort with one another. Tension has a way of making itself evident—even over Zoom, even through a translator. There’s none to be found here. They are relaxed in the manner of family. Lounging with their arms around each other’s shoulders, tugging on each other’s sleeves, fixing each other’s collars. When they speak about one another, it is with kindness.

우정을 단단히 만드는 세계적 인기에는 분명히 무언가 특이한 점이 있다. 멤버들과 이야기하는 동안 가장 인상깊었던 것은 소년단이 서로에게 느끼는 편안함의 수준이었다. 아무리 줌(Zoom)으로 인터뷰를 진행하고 통역사를 통해서 이야기해도 인터뷰 받는 사람이 느끼는 긴장감은 여실하게 전달되기 마련이다. 그렇지만 소년단에게서는 그런 것이 전혀 느껴지지 않았다. 이들에게서는 마치 가족 간에만 느끼는 편안함이 흘러나왔다. 어깨에 팔을 두르거나 서로의 소맷부리를 잡아당기고 옷깃을 고쳐주는 손길들. 서로에 대해 이야기할 때는 다정함이 묻어났다.

“Jimin has a particular passion for the stage and really thinks about performance, and in that sense, there are many things to learn from him,” J-Hope says. “Despite all the things he has accomplished, he still tries his best and brings something new to the table, and I really want to applaud him for that.”

“Thank you for saying all these things about me,” Jimin responds.

Jimin turns his attention to V, explaining that he is “loved by so many” and describing him as one of his best friends. Suga jumps in, sharing that Jimin and V fight the most among the group. V replies, “We haven’t fought in three years!” They tell me this distinction now belongs to Jin and Jung Kook, the oldest and youngest members. “It all starts as a joke, but then it gets serious,” Jimin says.

"지민이는 무대에 대해서 대단한 열정이 있고 퍼포먼스에 대한 생각을 진짜 많이 해요. 그런 면에서 배울 점이 많죠" 제이홉이 말했다."이렇게 이룬 것이 많은데도 불구하고 항상 최선을 다하고 새로운 것을 보여주려고 해요. 그런 점에서 정말 칭찬하고 싶어요"

"이렇게까지 말해줘서 고마워요" 지민이 대답했다.

지민은 뷔에게 고개를 돌려 그를 "정말 많은 사람에게 사랑받는 사람"이라고 하며 자신의 가장 좋은 친구 중 하나라고 묘사했다. 슈가가 끼어들어 지민과 뷔가 가장 많이 다투는 멤버 둘이라고 덧붙이자, 뷔는 "3년 동안 안 싸웠어요!"라고 대답했다. 그러고 나서 멤버들은 이제

'가장 많이 다투는 멤버' 타이틀은 맏이와 막내인 진과 정국이 가져갔다고 이야기했다. "농담으로 시작하는데 결국 심각해지더라고요" 지민이 덧붙였다.

Jin agrees and recounts what their arguments sound like. “Why did you hit me so hard?” he says, before mimicking Jung Kook’s response: “I didn’t hit you that hard.” And then they start hitting each other. But not that hard.

Since the start of their careers, BTS have shown a certain confidence in their aesthetic, their performances, and their music videos. It’s right there in the name: BTS stands for “Bangtan Sonyeondan,” which translates to “Bulletproof Boy Scouts,” but as their popularity grew in English-speaking markets, the acronym was retrofitted to mean “Beyond the Scene,” which Big Hit has described as “symbolizing youth who don’t settle for their current reality and instead open the door and go forward to achieve growth.” And their affection with one another, their vulnerability and emotional openness in their lives and in their lyrics, strikes me as more grown-up and masculine than all the frantic and perpetual box-checking and tone-policing that American boys force themselves and their peers to do. It looks like the future.

진은 의견에 동의한 뒤 어떤 것으로 다투는지를 재연해 주었다. "아 왜 이렇게 세게 때려?" 진은 그렇게 말하고서 정국을 따라 하며 "그렇게 세게 안 때렸어요!"라고 대답했다. 그러고 나서 둘은 다시 서로를 (그다지 세지 않게) 때리기 시작했다.

활동 초기부터 방탄소년단은 자신들이 가진 미학적 특성과 퍼포먼스, 뮤직비디오에 어떤 자부심을 가지고 있었다고 한다. 이런 자부심은 그 이름에도 드러난다. BTS는 원래 "방탄소년단"의 줄임말이지만 영어권 국가들 내에서 인기가 높아지면서 "Beyond The Scene"이라는 뜻을 덧붙이게 되었다. 빅히트 측은 이를 "현재에 안주하지 않고 문을 열고 앞으로 나아가 성장해내는 청춘"의 준말이라고 설명했다. 방탄소년단이 서로에게 갖고 있는 애정과 그들의 삶과 가사에서 보여주는 감정과 본인의 연약함에 대한 솔직함 등은 내게 감정적인 면이라면 무시해버리고 자신과 타인에게 끊임없이 조건을 따지고 드는 강압적인 미국의 남성상보다 훨씬 더 어른스럽고 남성답게 다가왔다. 마치 미래를 보는 것 같았다.

“There is this culture where masculinity is defined by certain emotions, characteristics. I’m not fond of these expressions,” Suga tells me. “What does being masculine mean? People’s conditions vary day by day. Sometimes you’re in a good condition; sometimes you aren’t. Based on that, you get an idea of your physical health. And that same thing applies mentally. Some days you’re in a good state; sometimes you’re not. Many pretend to be okay, saying that they’re not ‘weak,’ as if that would make you a weak person. I don’t think that’s right. People won’t say you’re a weak person if your physical condition is not that good. It should be the same for the mental condition as well. Society should be more understanding.”

When I hear these words in October 2020, from my house in a country whose leader is actively trying to make the case that only the weak die of COVID-19, well, it sounds like the future, too.

"남성성이라는 게 어떤 감정이나 성격으로 대변되는 문화가 있는데, 그런 표현들을 별로 좋아하질 않아요" 슈가가 말했다. "남성답다는 게 무슨 뜻인가요? 사람의 상태라는 것도 날마다 다를 수 있잖아요. 컨디션이 좋은 날도 있고 아닌 날도 있고. 그걸 보고 육체적 건강이 어떤지를 알 수 있죠. 마음에도 그게 똑같이 적용돼요. 마음이 좋은 날도 있지만 안 좋은 날도 있겠죠. 사람들은 자기가 '약하지 않다'면서 괜찮은 척해요. 마치 아프면 약한 사람이 되는 것처럼. 그게 옳다고 생각하지 않아요. 건강이 좋지 않은 사람에게 연약하다고 사람들이 말하진 않거든요. 정신 건강에 대해서도 동일해야 한다고 생각해요. 사회가 더 이해를 해 줘야죠."

2020년 10월 슈가가 이 답변을 할 때, 나는 시골에 있는 내 집에서 그의 말을 듣고 있었다. "약한 사람들이나 코로나에 걸리는 것이다"라고 부끄러움도 없이 말하는 사람이 대통령으로 앉은 나라에 있는 내 집에서 말이다. 그래, 그때도, 이 대답은 마치 미래의 대답처럼 내게 다가왔다.

IF YOU ARE JUST NOW CONSIDERING GETTING INTO BTS, IT IS natural to feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff. It’s a bit like saying, right this second, “Let’s see what Marvel Comics is all about.” In the streaming age, BTS have sold more than twenty million physical units across fourteen albums. Their multi-album concept cycles, The Most Beautiful Moment in Life, Love Yourself, and Map of the Soul, have unfolded over multiple records and EPs. There are collaborations with brands, including a BTS smartphone with Samsung. There is a series of short films and music videos, called BU, or BTS Universe, and an animated universe called BT21, in which they’re all represented by gender-neutral avatars. Their fan base, known as ARMY, is a global cultural movement unto itself.

만약 여러분이 방탄소년단에 지금 '입덕'하려 한다면, 정보의 양 하나만으로도 압도되겠다고 느낄 것이다. 아마 "마블 코믹스가 어떤 건지 좀 볼까"라고 하는 것과 비슷한 느낌일 것이다. 스트리밍의 시대에도 방탄소년단은 14장의 앨범에 걸쳐 총 2천만 장이 넘는 판매고를 올렸다. <화양연화>, <러브 유어셀프>,<맵 오브 더 솔>이라고 이름 붙은 시리즈의 콘셉트를 통해 수 장의 앨범과 미니앨범을 낸다. 삼성과 같은 브랜드들과의 컬래버레이션을 진행하고, 쇼트 필름, 뮤직비디오, BU라고 불리는 세계관에 더해, 성중립적인 아바타 캐릭터들이 나오는 애니메이션 세계관인 BT21도 있다. 팬 베이스인 '아미'만 해도 전 세계적인 문화 운동의 하나로 여겨지기도 한다.

“Dynamite,” their first English-language single and their first American number one, is pure, ecstatic pop. Shiny and joyful. What sets them apart from many of their peers, and many of the pop acts who achieved worldwide fame before them, is what came earlier. Beneath the sheen and the beats has always been an unflinching examination of human emotion. Their lyrics seek to challenge the conventions of society—to question and even denounce them. BTS’s first single, “No More Dream,” unveiled at their debut showcase in June 2013, concerns the intense pressure South Korean schoolchildren face to conform and to succeed. According to Suga, lyrics about the mental health of young people were mostly absent in Korean pop music. “The reason I started making music is because I grew up listening for lyrics that speak about dreams, hopes, and social issues,” he tells me. “It just came naturally to me when making music.”

방탄소년단의 첫 영어곡이자 미국 내 첫 1위를 가져다준 'Dynamite'는 순수하고 밝고 즐거운 팝 음악이다. 반짝반짝 빛나고 웃음이 가득하다. 그러나 소년단을 수많은 동료 가수들 사이에서 돋보이게 하는 것, 방탄소년단 이전에 전 세계적인 인기를 구가했던 팝 가수와 구분시키는 것은 그 이전에 존재한다. 빛나는 비주얼과 신나는 비트의 바탕에는 언제나 사람의 감정에 대한 끊임없는 탐구가 있었던 것이다. 이들의 가사는 사회의 통념에 도전하고 질문하며 심지어는 고발하고 비판하기도 한다. 2013년 6월 첫 공개된 방탄소년단의 데뷔곡인 'No More Dream'은 한국 학생들에게 가해지는 성공에 대한 압박감을 다루었다. 슈가의 말에 의하면 한국 대중가요에서 청소년들의 정신건강 문제에 대해 다루는 가사는 거의 없다고 한다. "제가 음악을 시작한 건 꿈과 희망과 사회적 이슈에 대해 다루는 가사를 가진 음악을 듣고 자랐기 때문입니다." 그가 말했다. "그래서 음악을 만들 때도 자연스럽게 그게 나와요."

Suga’s early ambition of making music didn’t involve him being in a group at all. About a decade ago, in his hometown of Daegu, the fourth-largest city in South Korea, he started recording underground rap tracks under the name Gloss, listening to and learning from the early works of songwriter and producer Bang Si-hyuk, known as Hitman Bang. Bang is the founder and CEO of Big Hit Entertainment. In 2010, Suga, a junior in high school, moved to Seoul to join Big Hit as a producer and rapper. Then Bang asked him to become part of a group, envisioning a hip-hop act with fellow new Big Hit recruits RM and J-Hope. The guys call this “season one” of their development.

슈가가 음악을 하기로 결심했을 초반에 그룹의 일원이 된다는 계획은 전혀 없었다. 그는 약 10여 년 전 고향인 대구에서 '글로스'라는 이름으로 프로듀서이자 작곡가였던 방시혁의 초기 음악을 듣고 배우면서 언더그라운드 랩 음악 리코딩을 했었다. 방시혁은 빅히트 엔터테인먼트의 CEO 이자 설립자다. 2010년 고등학교 2학년이던 슈가는 서울로 올라와 프로듀서이자 래퍼로 빅히트에 입사한다. 방 대표는 그때 그에게 당시 연습생이던 RM과 j-hope과 함께 하는 힙합 그룹의 일원이 되지 않겠냐 물었다. 그들은 이 시기를 방탄소년단 개발의 '시즌 1'이라고 부른다.

“At that time, I don’t think our label exactly knew what to do with us,” RM says. “They just basically let us be and we had some lessons, but we also just chilled and made music sometimes.”

It got more intense. The family grew, occasionally by accident.

V accompanied a friend to a Big Hit casting call in Daegu for moral support and ended up being the person chosen from those sessions.

Jung Kook was signed in a feeding frenzy after being dropped from the talent show Superstar K, fielding offers from numerous entertainment companies before settling on Big Hit because he was impressed by RM’s rapping.

Jimin was a dance student and class president for nine years running at his school in Busan; he auditioned at the behest of his teacher.

And then, to hear him tell it, Jin got picked up off the street. “I was just going to school,” he says. “Someone from the company approached me, like, ‘Oh, this is my first time seeing anyone that looked like this.’ He suggested having a meeting with me.”

"그때 당시에 소속사는 저희를 데리고 뭘 할지 정확히 몰랐던 것 같아요" RM이 말했다. "말하자면 우리를 그냥 자유롭게 놔뒀어요. 수업도 듣긴 했지만 편하게 있었고 가끔 음악을 만들었죠"

그러나 곧 생활은 바빠진다. 식구가 늘어난 것이다. 그것도 때때로는 우연으로.

뷔는 대구에서 열린 빅히트 오디션에 친구를 응원하러 갔다가 발탁되었다.

정국은 오디션 프로그램인 <슈퍼스타 K>에 나갔다가 수많은 소속사들에게 명함을 받았지만, RM의 랩을 보고 감명을 받고 나서 빅히트를 선택했다.

지민은 부산에서 9년 동안이나 반장을 한 모범생이자 무용과 학생이었는데, 선생님의 권유로 오디션을 보게 되었다.

그리고 진은 길거리 캐스팅으로 함께하게 되었다 한다. "전 그냥 학교에 가고 있었는데, 회사에서 나온 분이 오더니 '이렇게 생긴 사람은 난생처음 본다'라면서 미팅을 한번 갖자고 하더라고요" 진이 말했다.

“Season two is when we officially underwent hard training,” J-Hope says. “We started dancing, and that’s how I would say our team building started.”

School in the daytime, training at night. “We slept during classes,” V says.

“I slept in the practice studio,” J-Hope counters.

Hitman Bang kept the pressure comparatively low. And he encouraged the guys to write and produce their own music, to be honest about their emotions in their lyrics. Suga is on record saying that no BTS album would be complete without a track that scrutinizes society.

"시즌 2는 공식적으로 하드트레이닝에 들어갔을 때예요" 제이홉이 말했다. "댄스를 시작했을 때. 그때가 팀 결성이 시작됐을 때인 것 같아요"

멤버들은 낮에는 학교를 갔고, 밤에는 연습을 했다. "잠은 수업 시간에 잤어요" 뷔가 말했다.

"나는 연습실에서 잤어." 제이홉이 받아쳤다.

방 PD는 멤버들에게 상대적으로 압박감을 덜 주는 대신 자작곡을 쓰고 프로듀싱을 하도록, 가사를 쓸 때는 감정에 솔직하도록 격려했다. 슈가는 사회 비판적인 트랙이 들어가 있지 않으면 방탄소년단의 앨범이 아니라는 말을 일전에 한 적도 있다.

And yet for their new album, Be, they’re putting that aside. Even this has a greater purpose that relates to mental wellness: RM, the group’s main rapper, says, “I don’t think this album will have any songs that criticize social issues. Everybody is going through very trying times right now. So I don’t think there will be any songs that will be that aggressive.”

Though the new rules of COVID-19 mean they can’t come here and promote Be, its first single might not have happened in the first place but for the pandemic. “ ‘Dynamite’ wouldn’t be here if there was no COVID-19,” says RM. “For this song, we wanted to go easy and simple and positive. Not some, like, deep vibes or shadows. We just wanted to go easy.”

Jin agrees. “We were trying to convey the message of healing and comfort to our fans.” He pauses. “World domination wasn’t actually our plan when we were releasing ‘Dynamite.’ ” World domination just happens sometimes. You get it.

그러나 신보 <BE>에서 방탄소년단은 사회비판은 잠시 미뤄두기로 했다. 그렇게 결정한 이유도 더 충만한 정신적인 행복이라는 더 큰 목표를 위해서다. 그룹의 메인 래퍼인 RM은 이렇게 말했다. "이번 앨범에는 사회문제를 비판하는 곡은 안 들어갈 것 같아요. 다들 힘든 시기를 보내고 있으니까요. 그래서 그렇게 공격적인 곡은 없을 것 같습니다."

비록 코로나19 때문에 미국에 와서 활동을 하지는 못하겠지만, 사실 <BE> 앨범 자체가 팬데믹이 아니었으면 애초에 만들어지지도 않았을 것이다. "코로나가 없었으면 'Dynamite'도 없었겠죠." RM이 말했다. "이번 곡은 조금 쉽고 단순하고 긍정적으로 가고 싶었어요. 어떤 깊은 의미나 그림자 같은 것 없이요. 그냥 편안하게 가고 싶었어요."

진이 동의하며 말했다 "팬분들에게 힐링과 위안을 주는 메시지를 담고 싶었어요." 그는 잠시 말을 멈추고 다시 이었다. "사실 'Dynamite'를 발매했을 때는, 전 세계를 휩쓴다던가 하는 게 저희의 목표는 아니었어요."

세계 정복이라는 게 어쩔 때는 그냥 자연스럽게 일어나기도 하는 것이다. 그렇다.

MAP OF THE SOUL ONE AIRED VIA THEIR ONLINE FAN PLATFORM and attracted almost a million viewers across 191 countries. The guys say they tried not to think about the enormousness. J-Hope adds, “I felt a little bit more nervous knowing that this was being broadcast live. I actually feel less nervous performing live at a stadium.” Jin replies with a smile, “J-Hope, born to perform at a stadium.”

온라인 플랫폼으로 송출된 <맵 오브 더 솔: 원>콘서트는 191개 국가의 약 백만 명의 시청자가 동시 관람을 했다. 소년단은 그 거대함에 대해서 될 수 있으면 생각하지 않으려 한다고 했다. 제이홉이 말했다. "라이브 방송이 된다고 인식하니까 오히려 긴장이 더 되더라고요. 사실 스타디움에서 공연할 때 긴장을 덜 해요."

진이 웃으며 대답했다. "스타디움 공연을 위해 태어난 제이홉."

The graphic layout of the title throws a colon between the final N and E, which makes it look like Map of the Soul On: E, and as I watch it live, as I do in my office at 3:00 a.m. with noise-canceling headphones and a steaming pot of coffee, it feels a lot like I’m watching Map of the Soul on E. It is an explosion of color and fashion and passion, over four gigantic stages, from the boozy swagger of “Dionysus” to the emo-trap introspection of “Black Swan.” Not a step, not a gesture, not a hair is out of place. If there were nerves, they didn’t come through.

There is also, at the end of Map of the Soul One, an intimate version of their 2017 track “Spring Day,” which encapsulates what’s really made BTS stand out. On the surface, it’s about nonspecific love and loss, about yearning for the past. “I think that song really represents me,” says Jin. “I like to look to the past and be lost in it.”

동 콘서트의 제목을 보면 N과 E가 쌍점으로 나누어져 있는 것을 볼 수 있다. 그렇게 보면 이번 콘서트는 <Map of the Soul On:E>로 읽혔다. 사무실에서 새벽 3시에 노이즈 캔슬링 헤드폰을 끼고 김이 나는 커피잔을 들고 콘서트를 보자니, 정말 Map of the Soul on E를 보는 것 같았다. 콘서트는 색채와 패션과 열정의 폭발이었고, 취한 듯한 스웩이 넘치는 '디오니소스'부터 이모 트랩곡인 '블랙 스완'까지가 거대한 네 개의 세트 위에서 펼쳐졌다. 발 동작, 손동작 하나, 심지어 머리카락 한 올 조차 자리에서 벗어난 적이 없었다.

콘서트 말미에는 방탄소년단의 매력을 잘 보여주는'봄날'의 더 긴밀한 버전의 무대가 펼쳐졌다. 표면적으로는 특별할 것 없는 사랑과 이별, 과거에 대한 그리움에 대해서 이야기하는 노래다.

"저를 되게 많이 대표하는 음악인 것 같아요." 진이 말했다. "과거를 돌아보고 거기 젖어드는 걸 좋아하거든요."

Fair enough, but there is an undeniable allusion, in both the song’s video and its cover concept, to a specific incident in recent South Korean history. “Spring Day” was released just a few years after the sinking of the Sewol ferry, one of the country’s biggest maritime disasters, in which a poorly inspected, overloaded ferry toppled in a sharp right turn. Hundreds of high school students drowned, having obeyed orders to stay in their cabins as the boat was going down. According to some reports, the South Korean government actively tried to silence entertainers who spoke out against it, with the Korean Ministry of Education fully banning the tragedy’s commemorative yellow ribbons in schools. I ask whether it was about a specific sad event, and Jin tells me, “It is about a sad event, as you said, but it is also about longing.” The song kept the disaster front of mind for young Koreans and for the media, indirectly leading to the impeachment and removal of then president Park Geun-hye.

그러나 '봄날'의 뮤직비디오와 앨범 커버에는 한국에서 최근 일어난 사건에 대한 분명한 암시가 있다. '봄날'은 한국의 세월호가 가라앉은 후 얼마 되지 않아 나온 노래다. 세월호 참사는 과선적된 페리호가 급하게 우로 진로를 틀다가 해상에서 전복되어버렸던, 한국 역사상 가장 규모가 컸던 수상 재난이었다. 수 백 명의 고등학생이 선실 안에 있으라는 명령을 따르다가 배와 함께 가라앉았다. 어떤 보도들에 의하면 당시 한국 정부는 세월호 참사에 대해 언급하려는 연예인들에게 함구령을 내렸다고 하며, 당시 교육부는 학교에서 추도의 노란 리본을 매는 것을 전면 적으로 금지시켰다고 한다. 곡이 세월호와 관련이 있냐고 물어보는 내게 진은 이렇게 대답했다. "물론 말씀하신 것처럼 슬픈 일에 대한 곡이기도 하지만, 그리움에 대한 곡이기도 해요." '봄날'은 한국의 청년들의 마음속에서, 그리고 미디어에서 당시의 참사를 잊지 않도록 상기시키는 곡이 되었으며 이는 직접적이지는 않으나 당시 대통령이던 박근혜의 탄핵과 파면으로 이어졌다.

If an overburdened, undermaintained, slow-moving vessel capsizing because of a reckless rightward turn strikes you as somehow symbolic of the country in which BTS are about to explode even further, you won’t hear it from them. “We’re outsiders—we can’t really express what we feel about the United States,” says V. But their actions speak volumes; in the wake of the George Floyd murder and subsequent protests in America, the group made a $1 million donation with Big Hit Entertainment to Black Lives Matter, one that was matched by BTS ARMY.

그러나 부주의한 우선회로 뒤집어진 과선적된 낡은 배가 한국에 대한 여러분의 인상이라면, 잘못 짚은 것일 가능성이 크다. "우리는 외부인이라서 미국에 대해 어떻게 느끼는지는 말을 할 수가 없어요." 뷔가 이야기했다. 그렇지만 그들의 행동은 뚜렷하게 말해주는 바가 있다. 조지 플로이드 살인으로 촉발되어 미국 전역으로 퍼진 운동에 방탄소년단은 빅히트 엔터테인먼트와 함께 1백만 달러를 기부했으며, 이에 팬인 아미도 똑같이 1백만 달러를 기부했다.

The fans offer a fascinating inversion of stan culture: Rather than bullying rivals like many other ardent online fan bases do, ARMY have put the positive message of the music into action. Their activism goes deep. Through micro-donations, they’ve regrown rain forests, adopted whales, funded hundreds of hours of dance classes for Rwandan youth, and raised money to feed LGBTQ refugees around the world. Where pop fans a generation ago might have sent teddy bears or cards to their idols for their birthdays, where five years ago they might have promoted a hashtag to get a video’s YouTube viewer count up, for RM’s twenty-sixth birthday in September, international fan collective One in an Army raised more than $20,000 for digital night schools to improve rural children’s access to education during the COVID-19 crisis. ARMY may have even entered the conversation around the 2020 presidential election when hundreds of thousands of Tulsa Trump rally tickets got snapped up online in June. The event’s actual attendance was pathetically low. No particular person or entity claimed credit for this top-notch trolling, but a video urging BTS fans to RSVP to that rally did get hundreds of thousands of views. We have no choice but to stan this fan base.

방탄소년단의 팬들은 이제까지 보아온 팬 문화에 대한 훌륭한 역전을 보여준다. 다른 수많은 열성적인 팬 베이스처럼 라이벌 팬덤을 괴롭히는 대신 아미는 음악의 긍정적인 메시지를 행동으로 옮긴다. 이들의 행동주의는 아주 강력하다. 기부를 통해 아미는 열대우림을 새로 조성하고 고래를 입양하기도 하며, 르완다의 청소년을 위해 수백 시간의 댄스 레슨을 후원하기도 하고 세상 곳곳의 LGBTQ 피난민들에게 식량을 제공할 자금을 모으기도 한다. 이전 세대 가수의 팬들이 스타의 생일에 곰돌이 인형이나 카드를 보내고 5년 전에는 유튜브 조회 수를 위해 해시태그 홍보를 하는게 일반적이었다면, 올해 9월 RM의 스물여섯 번째 생일날 One in an Army라는 국제적 팬 베이스는 코로나19로 인해 학교에 나오지 못하는 농촌의 아이들을 지원하기 위한 디지털 야간학교 프로그램에 2만 달러를 기부했다. 2020년 미국 대선 때 털사에서 있었던 트럼프의 6월 선거 운동에서 수천 개의 티켓이 팔려버렸을 때도 아마 아미가 참여했을 것이다. 행사에 나타난 실제 관중 인원이 딱할 정도로 적었기 때문이다. 이런 최고의 트롤링을 자신이 했다고 한 특정 개인이나 단체는 없었지만, 해당 이벤트에 참여하라고 방탄 팬을 독려한 영상은 수십만 건의 조회 수를 기록했다. 그러니 누가 이 팬덤을 지지하지 않을 수 있겠는가.

The relationship is intense. “We and our ARMY are always charging each other’s batteries,” RM says. “When we feel exhausted, when we hear the news all over the world, the tutoring programs, and donations, and every good thing, we feel responsible for all of this.” The music may have inspired the good works, but the good works inspire the music. “We’ve got to be greater; we’ve got to be better,” RM continues. “All those behaviors always influence us to be better people, before all this music and artist stuff.”

Yet for every devoted member of BTS ARMY, there is someone who’s looked right past BTS. Jimmy Fallon, whose Tonight Show hosted the group for a full week this past fall, was one of those people. “Usually if an artist is on the rise, I hear about them ahead of time. With BTS, I knew they had crazy momentum, and I’d never heard of them.”

방탄과 아미의 관계는 아주 깊다. "우리와 아미는 언제나 서로의 배터리를 충전해 주고 있어요." RM이 말했다. "우리가 지쳤다고 느낄 때면 전 세계에서 들려오는 소식들을 들어요. 튜터링 프로그램, 기부, 그런 좋은 일들을 들으면 이런 일에 책임감을 느껴요." 음악이 좋은 일을 하도록 독려하기도 했지만, 이런 좋은 일들이 반대로 음악에 영감이 되기도 하는 것이다.

"더 크게 성장해야 하고, 더 잘 해야 돼요." 그가 계속 말했다. "이런 행동들이 전부 언제나 우리를 더 나은 사람이 되게끔 해요. 음악이나 예술이나 이런 것들 이전에."

그러나 아미의 일원 중에는 이전에 방탄소년단의 진가를 못 알아보고 지나친 사람들도 있다. 지난가을 방탄소년단 특집을 일주일 내내 내보낸 <투나잇 쇼>의 호스트인 지미 팰런도 심지어 처음에는 그랬다. "뜨는 스타가 있으면 보통 그 이전에 미리 이야기를 듣거든요. 근데 방탄소년단은 그렇게 대단한 열풍이 불고 있다는 건 알았는데 그전엔 한 번도 못 들어봤었어요."

Here’s a thought that used to be funny to me: There were members of the live audience of The Ed Sullivan Showon February 9, 1964, who weren’t there to see the Beatles. Elvis was in the Army, Buddy Holly was gone, and the three number-one albums in the months before Meet the Beatles! were an Allan Sherman comedy record, the West Side Story original cast recording, and Soeur Sourire: The Singing Nun. America had left rock ’n’ roll behind for the moment, and with the culture aimless and fragmented, it wasn’t quite sure what to pick up in its place. It is possible to imagine that a youngish, reasonably hip, and culturally aware human being might cop a ticket to that week’s show, settle into his seat, and say, “Bring on a medley of numbers from the Broadway musical Oliver! and banjo sensation Tessie O’Shea.”

The instinct is to laugh at that guy, and it’s a good instinct, because what a dope.

And then you become that guy.

한때는 듣고 웃고 지나갔던 이야기가 하나 있다. 1964년 2월 9일 (비틀스 공연 날), 에드 설리번 쇼에 온 관객 중에는 비틀스를 보러 온 게 아닌 사람들도 있었다. 엘비스는 군대에 있고, 버디 홀리는가버렸고 (역주* 1959년 사망), 비틀스 쇼 이전에 1위를 했던 앨범은 앨런 셔먼 (Allan Sherman)의 코미디 음반, <웨스트사이드 스토리>의 오리지널 캐스트 앨범, 그리고 <쇠어 수에르: 노래하는 수녀님>이 셋이었다. 당시 미국에서 로큰롤이란 것은 잠시 주춤하고 있었고 문화계가 뚜렷한 목표 없이 분열된 가운데 그 빈자리에 어떤 대세를 놓아야 할지 혼란스러운 상태였다. 그러니까 좀 젊은 축에 속하며 어느 정도는 힙하고 문화적으로 알 건 좀 안다는 사람이 우연히 표를 샀다면, 그리고 그날 공연장에 갔다면 대강 예상해볼 수 있는 라인업이란 브로드웨이 뮤지컬인 <올리버!>의 넘버라던가 테시 오쉐어의 밴조 공연이었다는 것이다.

원래는 이 이야기를 들으면 웃음부터 났다. 당연한 일이니까. 얼마나 멍청하단 말인가.

그런데 내가 갑자기 바로 그 바보가 된 듯한 기분이 드는 것이다.

Sometimes there is a whole universe alongside your own, bursting with color you’re too stubborn to see, bouncing with joy you think is for someone else, with a beat you thought you were finished dancing to. BTS are the biggest thing on the planet right now, yet the job of introducing them to someone new, particularly in America, seems like it’s never done. Maybe it’s because they are adored by screaming teenagers and we live in a society patriarchal enough to forget that screaming teenagers are nearly always right. Maybe it’s the cultural divide, in a moment when our country is unashamed enough of its own xenophobia to get openly bent out of shape when it has to press 1 for English. Maybe it’s the language barrier, as though we understood a single word Michael Stipe sang before 1989.

Whatever the reason, the result is that you might be missing out on a paradigm shift and a historic moment of pop greatness.

어쩔 때는 당신이 속한 우주 이외에도 당신의 아집으로 보지 못했던 다채로운 색으로 흘러넘치고, 당신이 어울리지 않는다고 생각한 기쁨으로 가득찬, 그리고 당신이 유행이 지났다고 여긴 그 비트로 이루어진 또 다른 세계가 존재한다는 걸 알아야 한다. 방탄소년단은 지금 이 지구에서 일어나고 있는 현상 중 가장 큰 현상임에 틀림없지만 이들을 아직 모르는 사람들에게 소개해야 하는 것은, 특히 미국에는, 끝이 안 나는 일처럼 느껴지기도 한다.

아마 이들을 좋아하는 것이 꺅꺅거리는 십대여서 일 수도, 그리고 우리 사회가 너무 가부장적인 나머지 사실은 이런 꺅꺅거리는 십대가 언제나 우리보다 더 옳다는 것을 잊어버렸기 때문일 수도 있다. 아니면 문화 장벽 때문일 수도 있다. 미국은 한때 외국인 혐오증이 부끄럽지도 않았는지 영어 이외의 언어 정책에 대해 말이 나오면 그 논란으로 나라가 떠들썩했으니까. 어쩌면 언어 장벽 때문일 수도 있다. 마치 마이클 스타이프(R.E.M의 보컬)가 1989년 이전에 한 노래는 언제는 다 알아들었던 것인 양 말이다.

원인이 무엇이건 간에 결론은 지금 대중문화의 패러다임 변화와 그 속의 중요한 역사적 순간들을 당신이 놓치고 있을 수 있다는 것이다.

IF BTS SEEM A BIT CAUTIOUS WITH THEIR WORDS PUBLICLY, IT’S because—perhaps more than any other massive pop act in history—they have to be. Shortly after our second meeting, BTS were given the General James A. Van Fleet Award by the U. S.–based Korea Society for their outstanding contributions to advancing relations between the United States and Korea. In his acceptance speech, RM said, “We will always remember the history of pain that our two nations shared together, and the sacrifices of countless men and women,” as seemingly diplomatic and innocuous a statement as he could have made. But because he didn’t mention the Chinese soldiers who died in the Korean War, it didn’t go over well. The Samsung BTS smartphone disappeared from Chinese e-commerce platforms, Fila and Hyundai pulled ads in China that featured the group, the nationalistic newspaper Global Times accused them of hurting Chinese citizens’ feelings and negating history, and the hashtags “BTS humiliated China” and “there are no idols that come before my country” began trending on the social-media site Weibo. The pressure is not small.

만약 방탄소년단이 공개 석상에서 말을 조심한다고 느껴진다면, 그건 방탄소년단이 그래야만 하는 위치에 있기 때문일 것이다. 두 번째 미팅이 끝난 후 방탄소년단은 미국과 한국의 관계 진전에 큰 공로를 인정받아 코리아 소사이어티로부터 밴 플리트 상을 받았다. 그 수상 소감에서 RM은 "우리는 두 국가가 함께한 고통의 역사를, 그리고 수많은 사람들의 희생을 언제나 기억할 것입니다"라는 외교적이고도 무해한 말을 했다. 그러나 한국 전쟁에 참전해 희생된 중국군을 언급하지 않은 것이 문제가 되어 일이 꼬이게 되었다. 삼성 BTS 스마트폰이 중국의 이커머스 사이트에서 없어졌고, 필라와 현대는 방탄소년단이 모델을 한 광고를 중국에서 내려야 했으며 국수주의 언론인 <Global Times>은 중국 사람들의 기분을 상하게 하고 역사를 부인했다며 그룹을 비난했고, "방탄이 중국을 모욕했다"라는 해시태그를 올리며 "내 국가보다 중요한 아이돌은 없다"라는 운동이 웨이보에 흐르기 시작했다. 압박의 크기는 작지 않았다.

Even as the number-one pop group in the world, even with their hard work day in and day out, even with tens of millions of adoring fans redefining the concept of “adoring fans” by literally healing the planet in their name, these guys still suffer from impostor syndrome. RM explains, “I’ve heard that there’s this mask complex. Seventy percent of so-called successful people have this, mentally. It’s basically this: There’s this mask on my face. And these people are afraid that someone is going to take off this mask. We have those fears as well. But I said 70 percent, so I think it’s very natural. Sometimes it’s a condition to be successful. Humans are imperfect, and we have these flaws and defects. And one way to deal with all this pressure and weight is to admit the shadows.”

방탄소년단은 세계 1위의 그룹이며 지금도 밤낮없이 열심히 일하고 있는데도, 이들을 따르는 수천만의 팬들이 말 그대로 온 지구를 치료함으로써 '팬'에 대한 인식을 바꾸고 있는데도 방탄소년단은 여전히 가면 증후군을 앓고 있다. RM이 말했다. "가면 증후군이라는 게 있다고 해요. 소위 성공했다고 하는 사람들의 70%는 가지고 있는 증상이라고. "나는 가면을 쓰고 있어"라고 생각하는 증상이래요. 그래서 누군가 내 가면을 벗겨버리지 않을까 두려워한다고 하죠. 우리도 그런 두려움이 있어요. 그렇지만 70퍼센트가 그렇다니까 그냥 자연스러운 현상이지 싶어요. 성공하기 위해서는 필요한 조건이기도 하고. 인간은 불완전하고 우리 모두 흠과 결점이 있으니까요. 그리고 이 모든 압박이나 부담을 다루는 방법 하나가 내 그림자를 인정하고 받아들이는 것이기도 하고요."

The music helps. “When we write the songs and lyrics, we study these emotions, we are aware of that situation, and we relate to that emotionally,” J-Hope says. “And that’s why when the song is released, we listen to it and get consolation from those songs as well. I think our fans also feel those emotions, maybe even more than us. And I think we are a positive influence on each other.”

If there’s one thing they’re sacrificing, besides free time and the ability to speak freely without the Chinese foreign ministry releasing an official statement, it’s a love life. I ask about dating, broad questions like “Are you?” and “Is there time?” and “Can you?” and the answer to all of them is pretty clear: “No.” “The most important thing for us now is to sleep,” Jung Kook insists. Suga follows right up with “Can you see my dark circles?” I cannot, because there are none, because flawless skin translates even over Zoom when there’s an ocean between us.

이 싸움엔 음악이 도움이 된다고 이들은 대답했다. "작곡이나 작사를 할 때 이런 감정들을 잘 살펴보고 우리의 상황을 인지하고, 그 상황을 감정으로 이해하려고 해요." 제이홉이 말했다. "곡이 발매되면 노래를 듣고 우리도 거기서 위안을 얻는 이유죠. 팬분들도 비슷한 감정을 느끼실 거예요. 어쩌면 저희보다 더 그러겠죠. 그래서 서로 긍정적인 영향을 주는 것 같아요.

이들이 자유 시간이나 중국과의 외교관계에서 자유롭게 말할 수 있는 발언권 이외에 포기해야 하는 게 있다면, 바로 연애다. 데이트에 대해서 "있냐" "시간은 있냐" "할 수는 있냐"라는 일반적인 물음을 던지자 모두에게서 분명한 대답이 돌아왔다. "없다"는 것이었다. "지금 저희에게 제일 중요한 건 잠자는 거예요" 정국이 말했다. "제 다크서클 보이세요?"라고 슈가가 바로 이어서 물었다. 다크 서클 따위 보이지 않았기 때문에 보인다고 할 수 없었다. 대양을 하나 건너 화상 통화를 하고 있어도 그들의 완벽한 피부는 너무도 분명히 다 보였기 때문이다.

So they’re not, at least publicly, having romantic relationships with anyone. If there is a strong relationship that’s guided their journey into adulthood, it’s with Big Hit. “Our company started with twenty to thirty people, but now we have a company with so many employees,” RM says. “We have our fans, and we have our music. So we have a lot of things that we have to be responsible for, to safeguard.” He considers it for a moment. “I think that’s what an adult is.”

“Our love life—twenty-four hours, seven days a week—is with all the ARMYs all over the world,” RM adds.

그러니까 적어도 방탄소년단은 공개적으로는 아무와도 열애 중이 아니라는 모양이다. 이들을 성인이 되도록 이끈 강력한 인간관계가 있었다면 그것은 빅히트와의 관계다. "이삼십 명으로 시작한 회사가 이젠 직원 수가 엄청 많아졌어요."RM이 말했다 "저희에겐 팬이 있고, 우리의 음악이 있습니다. 책임을 져야 할 것들, 지켜야 할 것들이 많아요." 그리고 그는 잠시 멈추었다가 말을 이었다. "그걸 어른이라고 하는 것 같아요."

"우린 365일 전 세계에 있는 아미와 연애 중이죠" 그가 덧붙였다.

In a world that is determined to sand down anything that isn’t immediately recognizable to the average pop-music fan, when it comes to acquainting you with Korean culture, BTS very much do not wanna hold your hand. While the first song on night one of their Tonight Show week was a joyous but expected take on “Dynamite” with Fallon and the Roots, they took some chances during their second performance.

평균적인 대중음악팬의 입맛에 맞지 않는 것은 무엇이든 갈아서 매끈하게 만들어버리는 이 세계에서도 방탄소년단은 한국의 문화를 알리는 데에 주저하지 않는다. 투나잇 쇼 방탄소년단 주간의 첫 시작을 팰런 쇼의 the Roots(밴드)와 부르는 'Dynamite'로 예상과 같이 무난하게 끊은 방탄소년단은, 두 번째 공연부터 그 기회를 활용하기 시작했다.

As a friend of mine, a thirty-three-year-old BTS fan in Los Angeles, told me, “The second song they performed was ‘IDOL,’ ” from 2018’s Love Yourself: Answer, “and it celebrated their Korean identity. They performed it in Gyeongbokgung Palace in Seoul. They wore clothes inspired by traditional dresses called hanboks;it was almost entirely in Korean, so it felt super subversive. As a fan, I read it as: ‘Dynamite’ was an invitation, and this is who we are and this is our home.”

LA에 사는 서른세 살 방탄소년단 팬인 내 친구는 이렇게 말했다. "두 번째 곡은 <러브 유어셀프: 앤서>에 실린 'IDOL'이었어. 한국인이라는 정체성을 기뻐하며 드러내는 노래지. 서울 경복궁에서 촬영했던데. 한복이라고 하는 한국 전통 의상을 입고 거의 한국어로 노래했어. 엄청 체제 전복적이었다니까. 팬으로서 이렇게 느껴졌어. 'Dynamite'는 초대장 같은 거고, 'IDOL'이야말로 정체성이고 이게 우리의 고향이다 라고"

“I was a little concerned that people might not understand,” Fallon says. “I was like, ‘There’s nothing in English here.’ But what you see is just pure star power. Pure talent. Immediately, I thought, Oh, this is everything. If you’re that powerful, it transcends language."

"사람들이 이해하지 못할까 봐 조금 걱정은 됐었어요" 팰런이 말했다. "'영어가 하나도 없잖아' 하고요. 하지만 공연으로 정말 그 순수한 스타의 힘을 느낄 수 있었어요. 그 재능을요. 그래서 바로 '아 이게 정말 중요한 거구나'하고 생각했죠. 그만큼 강력한 힘이 있으면 언어장벽도 뛰어넘을 수 있다는걸요."

American popular music in the twenty-first century is more fragmented than it has been since . . . well, since Allan Sherman, Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim, and the Singing Nun battled for that number-one spot. The monoculture that the Beatles helped bring on has breathed its last breath. Each of us is the program director for our own private radio station, letting our own past habits and streaming-service algorithms serve up something close to what we want. Which is great, except that huge moments can whiz right past our ears. Each of us, even if we’re more clued in than our parents were when they were our age, can miss some era-defining, excellent shit. Particularly if the radio is our Spotify Discover Weekly, or the Pandora channel based on the band whose T-shirts we wore in college. We can let a moment pass us by if prime time is a Netflix binge, and the Tonight Show hour is spent on one more episode before bed. But we shouldn’t. “Honestly, I think it’s history that we’re living through with BTS,” Fallon says. “It’s the biggest band I’ve seen since I’ve started late night, definitely.”

21세기 미국 대중음악은 생각보다 더 분열돼있다. 글쎄, 앨런 셔먼, 리오날드 번스타인, 스티븐 손드하임, 그리고 '노래하는 수녀님'이 1위 자리를 두고 경합했던 바로 그때부터 분열되어있지 않았을까. 비틀스가 몰고 왔던 단일 문화는 그 수명을 다했다. 우리 모두는 우리 각자의 개인 라디오 방송국의 PD나 마찬가지다. 내 과거의 습관과 스트리밍 서비스 알고리즘을 이용해서 취향에 맞는 것들을 공급받을 수 있으니까. 물론 좋은 것임에 틀림없지만, 이런 시스템의 위험은 어떤 중요한 순간들을 알아채지 못하는 사이에 훅하고 놓쳐버릴 수 있다는 것이다. 부모님 세대보다 훨씬 힌트를 많이 얻을 수 있는 세대임에도 불구하고, 그런 우리조차 한 세대를 정의하게 되는 거대한 어떤 현상을 목도하지 못하고 지나칠 가능성이 있는 것이다. 만약 우리의 라디오가 스트리밍 서비스가 보여주는 '이번주 신곡 플레이리스트'와 똑같다면, 그리고 우리의 멜론 채널이 대학 때 듣던 밴드들로 전부 그대로 채워져있다면, 그리고 우리의 TV황금 시간대가 넷플릭스 드라마 몰아보기와 같다면, 그렇게 될 가능성은 더 크다. 그렇지만 그래서는 안 될 것이다. "솔직하게 말하면 우리가 방탄과 같은 시대를 살고 있다는 것 자체가 역사 같아요. 쇼를 시작한 이후 제가 본 최대의 밴드니까요. 정말로." 팰런이 말했다.

THERE IS ALSO THE SMALL DETAIL THAT, UNLIKE THE BEATLES AND literally every other worldwide sensation to break in America, BTS don’t particularly need to go to the trouble. They are massive all over the world. Thanks to the recent IPO of Big Hit Entertainment, of which each member is a partner, they are all now incredibly wealthy. (Hitman Bang is the first South Korean entertainment mogul to become a billionaire.) What good is a culture in decline to a pop act this much on the ascent? “When I dreamed of becoming an artist, I listened to pop and watched all the awards shows in the United States. Being successful and being a hit in the U. S. is, of course, such an honor as an artist,” says Suga. “I feel very proud of that.”

비틀스나 여타 미국을 침공했던 센세이션들과는 다른 점이 하나 있다. 방탄소년단은 전 세계적으로 거대한 그룹이다. 빅 히트사의 최근 상장으로 현재 일곱 멤버는 엄청난 부를 손에 쥐게 됐다. 이렇게 떠오르는 그룹에게 쇠퇴하고 있는 문화*가 대체 어떤 이점이 있을까. "아티스트가 되겠다는 꿈을 꾸었을 때 팝 음악을 들었고 미국의 시상식은 전부 다 봤었어요. 미국에서 큰 히트를 치고 성공하는 건 당연히 아티스트로는 영광이죠." 슈가가 이야기했다. "정말 자랑스럽게 여기고 있어요."

(*미국 문화를 이야기하고 있는 것 같습니다-봄의 추측)

They’re breaking out in a country that either worships them or fails to notice them. So do they feel like they’re getting enough respect in America? “How can we win everyone’s respect?” Jin asks. “I think it’s enough to get respect from people who support us. It’s similar everywhere else in the world. You can’t like everyone, and I think it’s enough to be respected by people who really love you.”

Suga agrees. “You can’t always be comfortable, and I think it’s all part of life. Honestly, we are not used to getting a ton of respect from when we first started out. But I think that gradually changes, whether it be in the States or other parts of the world, as we do more and more.”

이들을 찬미하는 국가이든 전혀 알아채지 못하는 국가이든 간에 방탄소년단은 모든 나라를 침투하고 있다. 그럼 미국에서 응당 받아야 할 존중을 받는다고 느낄까? "어떻게 모두에게 존중을 받겠어요." 진이 물었다. "우리를 지지해 주시는 분들이 우리를 존중해 주시면 그걸로 충분한 것 같아요. 전 세계 어디나 비슷해요. 모두를 좋아할 수는 없어요. 그러니까 나를 진정으로 사랑해 주는 사람들만 나를 존중해 주면 돼요."

슈가가 맞장구쳤다. "언제나 편안하기만 할 수는 없어요. 그리고 그것도 삶의 일부 같아요. 솔직히 말씀드리면 저흰 처음 시작할 때부터 그랬었으니까 이렇게 큰 리스펙을 받는다는 것이 익숙하지가 않아요. 하지만 미국이 됐든 어디가 됐든 우리가 더 많이 하게 되면 점점 바뀌리라고 생각해요."

There is, without a doubt, one colossal, unmistakable sign of respect for a musician: a Grammy. They’ve been nominated only once, and even then it was for best recording package. But their sights are set on a big one next year. RM puts it out there: “We would like to be nominated and possibly get an award.” Dragging the hoary, backward-looking, and Western-focused Grammys into the gorgeous, global world of the present through sheer force of will, talent, and hard work? Stranger things have happened. “I think the Grammys are the last part, like the final part of the whole American journey,” he says with a smile. “So yeah, we’ll see.”

The Recording Academy’s seal of approval is one thing. But BTS have already conquered the world, clowned tyrants, inspired individual fans to perform the small and achievable acts of activism that have collectively begun to save the planet, challenged toxic masculinity by leading with vulnerability, and, along the way, become bajillionaires and international idols. Whether the Grammys are paying attention matters about as much as what an Ed Sullivan audience member expected to see that night in 1964. BTS have already won.

음악가라면 누구에게나 오해의 여지가 없이 거대한 존중을 받고 있음을 보여주는 한 척도가 있다. 바로 그래미다. 이제까지 방탄은 그래미에 단 한 번 노미네이트되었으며 그것도 베스트 레코딩 패키지 부문이었다. 하지만 이들은 내년에 주요 부문을 바라보고 있다. RM이 말을 꺼내놓았다. "후보에 오르면 좋고, 될 수 있으면 수상도 하고 싶어요." 과연 과거 회귀적이고 서구 중심적이며 케케묵은 그래미를 이들의 의지와 재능, 노력만으로 현대의 글로벌한 세상으로 끌어올 수 있을까?

"그래미가 마지막 조각인 것 같아요. 마치 미국 여정의 마지막 한 장인 것처럼." 그가 웃으며 덧붙였다. "네 뭐, 그러니까 두고 봐야죠."

물론 레코딩 아카데미의 인정도 중요하다. 그러나 방탄소년단은 이미 세상을 정복했으며 독재자들을 보란 듯이 한 방 먹였고, 개개인의 팬들에게 스스로 이룰 수 있는 작은 부분에 참여하도록 독려함으로써 이 힘들이 모여 지구를 구하는 큰 흐름이 되게 했으며, 자신의 연약함을 보여줌으로써 유해한 남성성에 도전장을 내밀었고 이 모든 과정 중에서 억만장자가 되었으며 국제적인 우상이 되었다. 그래미가 주목을 하느냐 못하느냐의 문제는, 1964년 그날 에드 설리번 쇼에 갔던 관객의 의견만큼이나 중요하지 않을 것이다. 방탄소년단은 이미 승리했기 때문이다.

님의 서명
스트레스 받으면 진다는
생각으로 살고 있습니다.
(하지만 왜 한화팬인가?)
Comment
2020-11-24 23:55:51

참 .. 신기하네요.! 이런 시대가 있다는게.!
빌보드...

글쓰기
SERVER HEALTH CHECK: OK